Our Students » FAQ



What is an IEP?

An Individualized Education Program, or IEP, describes what special education services a student will receive from the school district. It is drafted by an IEP team, which includes the parents. Students begin receiving special education program services as soon as their IEP is signed.

As appropriate, services are incorporated with general education curriculum and interactions with peers who do not have IEPs.

Parent/guardian(s) receive regular reports on students’ progress toward IEPs goals. In addition, the IEP team, including the parent(s), will review and update the IEP annually.


Which children are eligible to receive services?

Children ages birth to 21 may be eligible for special education when they have one of the following disability conditions which significantly affects educational performance and requires specially designed instruction. Students and their guardians who receive services participate in an individualized process. 

  • Autism

  • Communication disorder: speech and language impairment

  • Deafness/blindness

  • Emotional disturbance

  • Hearing impairment

  • Developmental delay

  • Orthopedic impairment

  • Other health impairment

  • Specific learning disability

  • Traumatic brain injury

  • Visual impairment: partially sighted and/or blind


How can I access services for my child?

If you have a concern about your child, provide a written request to the school psychologist, counselor or principal to have him or her evaluated for possible special education services. This will start the process.

If a student is found to be eligible for special education services, a conference will be scheduled to discuss the evaluation results and plan an IEP specifically designed for the student.

To request home/hospital tutoring for a student who, due to illness or injury, will be out of school and under a doctor’s care for a minimum of four weeks, please contact the special services department.

My child is new to the district and received special education services at his or her former school. How do I enroll my child when we move into your district?

To enroll your child, start at your neighborhood school. Be sure to let the staff know that your child received or is currently receiving special education services at his/her former school. The staff will ask some questions to make sure your child is placed in a program that is appropriate. They also may direct you to contact someone at the district office. If you have copies of your child’s most recent IEP and special education records, please bring them with you when you enroll him or her. The information these documents contain makes it easier to place students in appropriate programs.



Transportation is provided as part of the special education services potentially available to students.

The IEP team determines the need for special transportation on an individual basis. Transportation is most often provided for students who are in specialized programs.

Special education students who ride the bus are transported with special education peers.

A guardian or established emergency contact person must meet special education students at their bus stop. Emergency contact people should present photo IDs to receive the student.

For this reason, it is important that contact information for guardians and emergency contact people is kept up to date. If you have recently changed your phone number(s), or have questions about transportation, please contact the transportation department.


How does a student exit out of Special Education Services?

Exiting special services requires the student’s IEP team to meet to review the student’s progress.

  • It may be necessary to conduct a full or partial re-evaluation to determine next steps.

  • The student may graduate and/or reach the age of 21.

  • The parent may revoke permission to continue in special education.

Special education records include IEPs, evaluations and testing results.

Current students’ records may be obtained at their schools by contacting the school psychologist.